Sunday, April 1, 2012

Volunteering for St. Mary's

On a drizzly saturday morning, spirits were high as always at St. Mary's as young and old were ready to participate in the annual St. Mary's 5K Run! Waking up at 7 a.m. was tough but when you saw the energy from the kids, that energy wore off on everyone. It was cool to volunteer and help out for both races as it is something I have never done before. This was part of my 10 volunteer hours for my 255 class and this experience gave me 3 hours.

{Getting ready before the races}

The first race was designated to the younger children, although everyone could participate for the 5K. The race track for the children was a run around the streets that surrounded St. Mary's. Me and my fellow colleagues acted as flaggers in the race so that we could keep the children safe and making sure they stayed on the sidewalks. It was nice to be at the race and see the kids smiling and running furiously around the street corners. The winner was actually the same kid who won it last year and I even asked him for his autograph after the race which put a big smile on his face.

{The kids getting ready}

For the 5K race, things got serious as me and my colleagues were put at various street corners. At around 9 a.m. the race started and I stood at the street corner, waiting for the first glimpse of a runner. Before I knew it, a runner came flying up and blew by me. I looked beyond him and no one was even on the street corner. He went on to win with a fantastic time. Although he finished first, everyone that came out that day was a winner. It was cold and rainy and still people were giving their best efforts and participating in something that was bigger than everyone. It was great time for everyone to get outside, get some exercise, and to meet new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment